Genealogy of John "Mad Jack" Fuller

Notes


Rev Henry Fuller

Education: MA Trinity College, Cambridge
Ordination - Deacon: 18 June 1749, Bishop's Chapel, Chelsea, London
Ordination - Priest: 25 June 1746, Bishop's Chapel, Chelsea, London
By Bishop Benjamin Hoadly of Winchester 1734 - 1761
Rector of North Stoneham, Hampshire from 12 Sept 1749 until his death on 23 Jul 1761.


John Fuller

Note in Schiffner Archive: d.s.p. - [Latin] descessit sine parole; died without issue

Inherited Brightling and Catsfield estates respectively from his uncles Rose Fuller and John Fuller.

Member of Parliament: Southampton 29 January 1780 - 1784 ; Sussex 16 July 1801 - 1812

Family and Education: Eton 1767-74; Lincoln's Inn 1774.

Offices Held: Captain of the Sussex Militia 1778; High Sheriff of Sussex 1796-7; Captain of the Sussex Yeomanry 1798; Lieutenant Colonel Hastings Volunteers 1803.

http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1790-1820/member/fuller-john-1756-1834


Sir John Palmer Acland

1831 02 Mar Ackland Sir John Palmer - died age 76 Royal Crescent Bath of Fairfield
Source Bridgwater and Somersetshire Herald

Created Baronet by a patent dated Dec 8 1818 and in the same year took the name and arms of Palmer in addition to Acland by Royal sign manual.
Souce: The Gentleman's Magazine, 1907


Frances Anne Palmer Acland

Died: At Fairfield, in the 20th year of her age, Miss F. A. Palmer Acland, only surviving daughter of John Acland, Esq of Fairfield, Somerset.
Source: Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, January 28, 1804; Issue 2648.


John Palmer Acland

Source: parish register http://www.wsom.org.uk/Registers/StogurseyBap17701799.htm


Hugh Palmer Acland

Died unmarried


Arthur Palmer Acland

Died unmarried


Harriet Palmer Acland

Died: On Thursday at Clifton in the 10th year of her age Miss Harriet Palmer Acland, the youngest daughter of John Palmer Esq, of Fairfield in the county of Somerset.
Source: The Morning Chronicle (London, England), Monday, January 2, 1804; Issue 10801.

http://www.wsom.org.uk/Registers/StogurseyBap17701799.htm


Lancelot Brown

Known as Lance to his family to differentiate him from his father. Educated at Eton where he was given the nickname Capey. Was Member of Parliament for Totnes, Devonshire 1779-1784. Represented Huntingdon Borough from May 1784 to May 1787 and Huntingdonshire from April 1792 to May 1794.
Became Gentleman of the Kings Privy Chamber 1795.

Occupation: Barrister

dsp


Frances Fuller

FEN STANTON The PARISH CHURCH of S.S. PETER & PAUL: There are the following monuments: In the chancel, to Launcelot Brown, d. 1783, Bridget his widow, d. 1786, Launcelot Brown their elder son, d. 1802, John Brown, second son, d. 1808, and Mary widow of Admiral Brown, d. 1834; Frances (Fuller) wife of Launcelot Brown, d. 1792.

dsp


John Fuller

John Fuller was elected MP of Sussex in 3 Sep 1713, the last session of Queen Anne.

"When the first John Fuller, of Brightling Park, died on 4 August, 1745, his eldest son, another John, inherited the major part of his father's property. In accordance with his father's marriage settlement, Rose Fuller, the second son, was left £2000 in addition to the Jamaican estates; Thomas £2000 besides the £4000 already provided to set him up as a sugar baker; Henry had £5000 as well as the right and title to the first vacancy in the livings of Mottisfont-cum-Lockerly and North Stoneham, with an additional £1000 if he did not take orders; Stephen the same amount with a similar proviso with regard to the livings. A codicil to the will, however, after Stephen's marriage to Elizabeth Noakes left him instead £1,835 Old South Sea annuities valued at £4000. "

The Fullers of Brightling Park, Part II, by Mary C. L. Salt, Sussex Archeological Collections, vol.106, p.73.

Fellow of the Royal Society 30/11/1704. His candidacy was proposed by Sir Hans Sloane.


Thomas Fuller

Died in infancy.


Ashburnham Fuller

Died in infancy.


Hans Fuller

Apprenticed to Messrs. Garnie & Atlee, Merchants of Lisbon. Died of smallpox in Portugal. d.s.p.


Samuel Fuller

Died in infancy.


Thomas Fuller

The reversion of the house and other lands was granted to Thomas Fuller of Catsfield as part of his marriage settlement; it came to his son, John, who also inherited the Catsfield estate and died unmarried in 1810, bequeathing it to his nephew, John Fuller of Rose Hill in Brightling. As the latter died unmarried, the property came to Sir Peregrine Acland, bart., in 1834, under John, the uncle's, will. Sir Peregrine sold it to W. V. Langridge, Clerk of the Peace, in 1842, and it was sold by his son to John Maxwell Smith in 1876.

Inherited School Hill House, Lewss in 1725

A2A Shiffner

Will dated 4 Dec 1734; it was proved by his wife,Frances, and brother-in-law John Bridger on 13 Nov 1735.


Frances White

Owned Park Gate, Catsfield after the death of her husband Thomas until at least 1740.

Life in Catsfield 1800-1910: History on our Doorstep - Chapter 3 Later 18th & 19th Century Landowners by Don Phillips, pp 9.


Thomas White Fuller

God parents of Thomas White Fuller, baptized 16 September 1723, were the [1st] Duke of Newcastle, Sir William Gage and Lucy Pelham.
ASA Shiffner


John Fuller

Note in Schiffner Archive:
d.s.p. - [Latin] descessit sine parole; died without issue

Owned School Hill House in 1753.- asa shiffner

Inherited Park Gate in 1760. The house was named Catsfield House in his time. He suffered but recovered from blindness, this led him to set up a charity administerd by the rector and churchwardens of Catsfield church in 1795. The income from a rent charge on property in Ripe near Lewes was to be "for the use and benefit of six poor blind persons of the county of Sussex' [CVA Fuller charity deed]. After his death on 31 March 1810, a memorial by Nollekens was placed in the church at Catsfield by his nephew, John (Mad Jack) Fuller of Brightling. [Huchinson;97] John Fuller's will written in 1794 stated that £10, 000 was left to Rev Thomas Fuller of Heathfield and all manors, messuages, lands and real estate to two trustees on behalf of his nephew John Fuller of Brightling and his heirs [ESRO SAS RF 11/28]. John had no heirs but did not die until 1834, the Rev Thomas Fuller is recorded as owning the Catsfield property in 1810 and purchased the manor of Broomham Park Gate from the Earl of Ashburnham in 1813 [Salzman;245] Presumably John and Thomas had come to an arrangement between themselves for the transfer of his estate.

Life in Catsfield 1800-1910: History on our Doorstep - Chapter 3 Later 18th & 19th Century Landowners by Don Phillips, pp 9.

Document reveals blind charity

A 200-YEAR-OLD document which established a generous fund for the blind has been handed into the East Sussex Record Office.
The charity was founded in 1795 by John Fuller of Catsfield, cousin of the infamous 'Mad Jack' Fuller of Brightling. The Catsfield Fuller was a wealthy landowner who nearly lost his sight due to disease. On his recovery, Fuller decided to help blind people around the county. The deed guaranteed a princely sum of £60 a year raised from rent on a Great Lulhams farm, a 105-acre site in the parish of Ripe. Amazingly, it's still valid. Christopher Whittick, senior archivist at the record office, explained. "In the olden times, if you wanted to secure a regular payment, one way to do it would be a deed of governance which gave part of the rent on the land to the party you had in mind. "In this case the deed locked the liability of the £60 to the land, so if it was sold on the money still had to be paid by the new owner." The deed was given to the rector and churchwardens at St Lawrence's Church, Catsfield, in order for them to collect and distribute the money. Initially those deemed suitable received 16 shillings a month for the rest of their lives. The annual income is still being collected by the church, but in latter days the distribution has been handled by Hastings Voluntary Association for the Blind. Current St Lawrence vicar, Rev Jonathan Beswick, said: "I think the discovery of this document is a very timely reminder of the church's responsibility to the wider community. "When it was founded this was of enormous value. £60 was an awful lot of money then but unfortunately it has never risen and the deed is less significant now." The original deed was found to be missing in 1928, but the charity remained protected as someone realised that it had been recorded in the Chancery. It was recently discovered by a local historian. Mr Whittick added: "The document is in perfect condition which is amazing considering it will be 200 years old in 2005. "As well as being a very welcome addition to the holdings of the Record Office, the re-appearance of it reminds us of some important historical truths, like the immense generosity of wealthy landowners in the days before the nationalisation of poor relief and the financially terminal consequences of the failure of charities to re-invest - 208 years after its foundation, the charity's income can hardly be worth collecting. The document is available at the Record Office in the Maltings, Lewes, and the document's reference is ACC 8775/1.
Rye and Battle Today, 06 June 2003, http://www.ryeandbattletoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=477&ArticleID=527663


Dr. Fulke Rose

Of St. Thomas in the Vale, Jamaica. Merchant and Colonel.

'Rose was one of Jamaica’s leading early buyers of slaves, one of only six colonists who regularly imported significant quantities from the Royal African Company during the 1670s, which then enjoyed a monopoly on the trade. " - http://www.britishmuseum.org/PDF/Delbourgo%20essay.pdf


" Dr Fulke Rose went to Jamaica some time before 1670 when he was listed in Modyford’s survey
as owning 380 acres in the parish of St Catherine. He was a Member of the Assembly for St. Thomas
in the Vale in 1675, '7, '8, '9, '86 and for St. John in 1688, '91, and '93."

'The earthquake [just before noon on the 7th June 1692], which modern estimates suggest was about 7.5 in magnitude, was not of course confined to Port Royal. A huge landslip occurred at Judgement Hill. At Liguanea, the site of modern Kingston, the sea was observed to retreat 300 yards before a six-foot high wave rushed inland. Most of the buildings in Spanish Town were destroyed and serious damage occurred all across Jamaica.

Worse was yet to come, for the survivors then had to endure a series of epidemics particularly of Yellow Fever. Perhaps 2000 of the 6500 inhabitants of Port Royal perished in the quake, many more died across Jamaica in the following few years. The island was over dependent on imported food and goods from England, and the disruption to its main harbour, loss of ships and warehousing brought about shortages of essential goods and reduced the ability to export.

The Jamaican Assembly removed from Port Royal to Spanish Town and rebuilding began almost at once, but it has been suggested that the progress of the colony was set back by 20 years as a result of the devastation. Port Royal itself was so much reduced in area and further devastated by fire in 1704 that it never recovered. Two years after the quake Dr Fulke Rose, one of the early colonists who had been in Jamaica since at least 1670, returned to London with his family in order better to plead the cause of the island. He died there in March 1694" - A Parcel of Ribbons, http://aparcelofribbons.co.uk/tag/fulke-rose/


Elizabeth Rose

Died in infancy.


Frances Rose

Died before 1693.


John Fuller

Education: Trinity College, Cambridge (matriculated 1724); Middle Temple (admitted 1724)
Fellow of the Royal Society 09/03/1727

Given parliamentary seat by Duke of Newcastle in the last months his life. MP for Boroughbridge, Yorkshire, 20 Dec. 1754 - 1 Feb 1755. Source: The Fuller's of Brightling Park (SAC) vol. 104, 1966.

"Many additions to the [Rose Hill] mansion itself which unfortunately have been demolished, are recognised as dating from John Fuller II's time. These ...consisted of a drawing room with elaborate plasterwork, a handsome chimney piece and overmantel with double console brackets; a bedroom above known as the George Room; the egg-room which was oval in shape witha fireplace below the sill of one of the windows, as well as a pleasant little building on the South side with a housekeeper's room in which was a delightful little set of drawers for spices. The original hall had some ornamental plasterwork also inserted by John Fuller II."

The Fullers of Brightling Park, by M.C.L. Salt , vol. 107, pp. 16-17, 1969

Waldron Parish Registry:" Buried in linen and £ 20 given to the poor of this parish"

d.s.p. John Fuller's estate was inherited by his brother Rose Fuller


Elizabeth Dayrell

Alternatively Darell. Gave birth to a still-born son, date unknown.


Rose Fuller MP

Physician;Leyden (1729); MD (Cambridge Com. Reg. 1728), Fellow of Trinity College, Cambridge.

Resided at Spanish Town, Jamaica from 1733 to 1756.
Was appointed as physician to the British troops in Jamaica.
Chief Justice of Jamaica, March 1753.

MP for New Romney (1756-1761); MP for Maidstone (1761-1768); MP for Rye until his death (16 Mar 1768-1777)
Member of the West India lobby in parliament.

Became a Fellow of the Royal Society, 20/04/1732. His election to the RS was proposed by Wiliam Sloane Cadogan and John Martyn: "Rose Fuller of Sussex MD a Gentleman well Skill'd in all parts of the Mathematicks, Natural and Experimental Philosophy, & most branches of Curious and usefull Learning; being desirous of becoming a Member of this Society is proposed by us."

http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1754-1790/member/fuller-rose-1708-77


Ithamar Mill

Monumental Inscription: St James Anglican Cathedral, Spanish Town, Parish of St. Catherines -

HERE LYETH INTERR'D THE BODY OF ITHAMAR THE WIFE OF THE HONBLE ROSE FULLER ESQ WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE THE 22d DAY OF APRlL 1738 AGED 17 YEARS.


Thomas Fuller

Named after Thomas Isted. Was established as a sugar-baker in London and eventually conducted a wide trade with Jamaica. (Crossley & Saville)

He was employed as a merchant in Jun 1751 in St Clements Lane, Lombard Street, London. He resided in 1742 in St Benet Paul's Wharf, London.


Eleanor Lidgetter

Related to the Parkers of Ratton and the Traytons of Lewes and through her brother was heiress to both of those families.
Source: Burke's peerage 1883.

Known as Nell.


Stephen Fuller

Fellow of Trinity College, Cambridge.

From 1760 until his death in 1799 was the agent in London for the Jamaica assembly. (Crossley & Saville)

From Frances Burney: Journals and Letters, pp. 129:
12 October 1779, Brighthelmstone (Brighton)
Sunday [3 October] - we had Lady Lade at Streatham. She did not leave us till the next Day. She and I are grown most prodigious friends; - she is really so entertaining and lively with those she thinks well of, that it is not often possible to pass Time more gayly than in her Company. Mr Stephen Fuller, the sensible but deaf old Gentleman I have formerly mentioned, Dined here also; - as did his Nephew, Rose whose trite, settled, tonish emptiness of Discourse is a never failing source of Laughter and diversion.


Elizabeth Noakes

Known as Betsy


Mary Fuller

Died in infancy. Waldron parish registry notes "50/- given to the poor of this parish" upon her death.